Yellow Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons Recipe
Get your next dinner party off to an impressive start with this savory cream soup. Guests will love the roasted tomato flavor and crispy bread slices. If you make it in summer, try grilling the tomatoes instead.—Patterson Watkins, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- 3 pounds yellow tomatoes, halved (about 9 medium)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 slices French bread baguette (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons prepared pesto
- 1/2 cup crumbled goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place tomatoes, cut side down, in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan; brush with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle with 2 teaspoons garlic and the salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme.
- 2. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes or until tomatoes are tender and skins are charred. Cool slightly. Discard tomato skins. In a blender, process tomatoes until blended.
- 3. In a large saucepan, saute onion in remaining oil until tender. Add remaining garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add broth and milk; bring to a boil. Carefully stir in tomato puree. Simmer, uncovered, for 15 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Stir in cream; heat through (do not boil).
- 4. Meanwhile, for croutons, place bread on a baking sheet and brush with oil. Bake for 5-6 minutes or until golden brown. Spread with pesto and sprinkle with goat cheese and pepper. Bake 2 minutes longer. Ladle soup into bowls and top with croutons. Yield: 6 servings.
1 each: 367 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 46mg cholesterol, 870mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 4g fiber), 10g protein.
Reviews for Yellow Tomato Soup with Goat Cheese Croutons
Reviewed Jan. 20, 2017
"Delicious! I loved this soup!"
© 2018 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC