Yellow Rice & Black Bean Salad
Chipotle peppers turn up the heat on a colorful rice dish brimming with black beans. It can be served hot or cold.—Rose Rodwell, Bergen, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Cook: 20 min. + cooling
Makes12 servings (1/2 cup each)
- 4 teaspoons ground cumin, divided
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons plus 1-1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1 cup uncooked basmati rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped roasted sweet red peppers
- 1/3 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chopped chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- Place three teaspoons cumin in a small skillet; cook over medium heat for l minute or until aromas are released. Stir in lime juice and oil; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine turmeric and remaining cumin. Cook over medium heat for 1 minute or until aromatic. Add the water, rice and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until water is absorbed. Cool. Stir in onions and half of the lime juice mixture.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients. Add the rice mixture and remaining lime juice mixture; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 126 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 307mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.
Originally published as Yellow Rice Salad with Roasted Peppers and Spicy Black Beans in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2010
May 8, 2012
We loved the variety offered by this filling rice dish-the only thing we are intending to change the next time we make it will be to cut down on the cumin. Althougth it was delicious it was a little spicier than we're used to.