Yankee Pot Roast
Rubbing garlic onto the roast before browning adds lots of flavor. With this recipe, the meat and vegetables turn out moist and tender.—Bill Shultz, Walden, New York
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 4 hours
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 beef chuck roast (3 to 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 cup tomato juice
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- Rub garlic onto roast, then coat with flour. In a large Dutch oven, brown roast in oil. Add the tomato juice, carrots, onions, celery, bay leaves, salt, thyme and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-1/2 hours, turning meat occasionally.
- Add potatoes; simmer for 30 minutes or until tender. Remove bay leaf. Remove roast and slice; serve with vegetables and gravy.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 615 calories, 31g fat (10g saturated fat), 147mg cholesterol, 669mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 4g fiber), 48g protein.
Originally published as Yankee Pot Roast in Taste of Home October/November 1995