World’s Best Waffles
I pride myself on being a good cook who learned everything about baking and cooking from my very patient mother. Credit also goes to my father, who suffered through my many less-than-successful experiments!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes12-16 waffles (about 6-1/2 inches)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Beat egg yolks lightly; beat into yeast mixture. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, salt and nutmeg; stir into yeast mixture just until combined. Add butter and mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Originally published as World's Best Waffles in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Jul 29, 2012
This recipe is a keeper! I've made a lot of different waffle recipes, but this one comes out so fluffy and light and has a wonderful flavor. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different flavors with this great base! Thank you!