World’s Best Waffles
I pride myself on being a good cook who learned everything about baking and cooking from my very patient mother. Credit also goes to my father, who suffered through my many less-than-successful experiments!
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes12-16 waffles (about 6-1/2 inches)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Beat egg yolks lightly; beat into yeast mixture. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, salt and nutmeg; stir into yeast mixture just until combined. Add butter and mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 29, 2012
This recipe is a keeper! I've made a lot of different waffle recipes, but this one comes out so fluffy and light and has a wonderful flavor. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different flavors with this great base! Thank you!