World’s Best Waffles
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + rising Bake: 30 min.
Makes12-16 waffles (about 6-1/2 inches)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 cups warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in warm milk. Beat egg yolks lightly; beat into yeast mixture. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour, salt and nutmeg; stir into yeast mixture just until combined. Add butter and mix well.
- Beat egg whites until stiff peaks form; fold into batter. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45-60 minutes.
- Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer's directions until golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 218 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 217mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Jul 29, 2012
This recipe is a keeper! I've made a lot of different waffle recipes, but this one comes out so fluffy and light and has a wonderful flavor. I'm looking forward to experimenting with different flavors with this great base! Thank you!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.