Woolly Butter Lamb
Total TimePrep: 2 hours
Makes1 butter lamb
- 2 sticks cold butter (1/2 pound)
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 whole cloves
- Fresh parsley sprigs and edible pansies, optional
- Cut a third from the end of one stick of butter. Place larger piece on a serving dish for lamb's body. Spread some of the softened butter on cut side of smaller piece; position vertically on left side of larger piece for neck and head. Trim edges.
- Cut a 1/4-in. slice from the second stick of butter; cut diagonally in half. Spread softened butter on cut edge of one triangle; secure to front of head/neck piece for nose. Set remaining triangle aside.
- Cut a diagonal slice from each end of the second butter stick. Spread softened butter on cut long sides; secure to back of head for ears.
- Cut remaining butter and reserved triangle to fit into a garlic press. Squeeze butter through press in batches. Use toothpicks to curl pieces. Beginning at the top and working down, place curls on body. (If butter softens while assembling, place in refrigerator for 10 minutes or until firm.)
- Insert cloves for eyes; add two dots of cinnamon on nose for nostrils. Refrigerate until serving. Garnish plate with parsley and pansies if desired.
Nutrition Facts2 tablespoons: 216 calories, 24g fat (15g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 249mg sodium, 0 carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 0 protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 19, 2014
I made this for our family Easter dinner this year; it was the second time I have made it - and it is really cute and surprisingly easy. If using cloves for the eyes, I would suggest putting them in first - it can be difficult to push the cloves in the cold butter at the end of the project without slightly messing up the "wool", and the cinnamon dots can be a little hard to put on without scattering the cinnamon. Another reviewer suggested peppercorns and poppy seeds for the eyes & nostrils, and those are good ideas. I used small batches of butter in the press, and pressed lengths of butter that were about 1/2 inch long; it seemed easier to work with for me. This took me about 35 minutes from start to finish (add some extra time to chill if need be). I used a half circle of green leaf lettuce and flowers to put around the front of the lamb, (if using real flowers and you're planning on eating them, make sure to use edible flowers such as the pansies as the recipe suggests).
Nov 8, 2013
This recipe is easier than it looks. I will try and experiment with different shapes for other holidays!
Mar 27, 2013
Big hit! I cheated on the wool, though. I built the "base", face, and ears as in the recipe out of cold butter. I let the second stick soften and spread it all over the lamb. Then I took a toothpick and swirled it up to make the wool. Easy! Also, peppercorns for the eyes and poppy seeds for the nostrils.
Apr 4, 2012
I want to say thank you I have been searching for this recipe for a long time. I was raised in Ware, Massachusetts, and we purchased these lambs from the sisters. I have been away for many years and this year I am going to finally make the lamb. Thanks again.
Apr 2, 2010
I used a decorating a sleeve and Wilton decorating tip #75. Fast and easy and so cute! They were a big hit!
Apr 6, 2009
I too am Polish and my grandmother used to make the lambs, only she had a mold to make them in. I also remember the Priest coming over to bless the food. She also made the Polish kielbasa and Babka bread which was kneaded in a large pan by hand. Although we don't do the lambs or kielbasa anymore, today my 92 year old mom and I still do the Babka bread in that same pan, which is well over 100 years old.
Mar 30, 2009
This Wooly Butter Lamb is tons of fun to create. I've been creating one with my Mom for the past couple Easters and it has become a fun traditon and is the star of my Easter basket.
Mar 22, 2008
I make this every year and the kids get such a kick out of it. Please come up with some ideas for the other holidays. It is just great!!!!!!!