This super-simple finger food makes an awesome appetizer and is perfect for potlucks. I serve these crispy pork rolls with sweet-and-sour sauce, and they disappear in a hurry - folks can't seem to get enough of them. -Korrin Grigg, Neenah, Wisconsin
Recommended: 35 Chinese Takeout Fake-Out Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 can (14 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup finely chopped canned bean sprouts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in pineapple juice, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in green pepper and pineapple. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine pork, cabbage, sprouts, onion, eggs, salt and pepper. Place about 1 tablespoonful in the center of a wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten edges with water; fold opposite corners together over filling and press to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry wontons for 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce Yield: about 8-1/2 dozen (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Originally published as Wontons with Sweet-Sour Sauce in Taste of Home June/July 2000, p27
Reviews forWontons with Sweet-Sour Sauce
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 24, 2011
"I used to make this recipe all the time. My family and friends love these. I am making them this weekend and everyone is so excited. Ye, excited about good food."