- 1 can (14 ounces) pineapple tidbits
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 2 cups finely shredded cabbage
- 3/4 cup finely chopped canned bean sprouts
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 packages (12 ounces each) wonton wrappers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Drain pineapple, reserving juice. Set pineapple aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine brown sugar and cornstarch; gradually stir in pineapple juice, vinegar and soy sauce until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in green pepper and pineapple. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes; set aside and keep warm.
- In a large bowl, combine pork, cabbage, sprouts, onion, eggs, salt and pepper. Place about 1 tablespoonful in the center of a wrapper. (Keep remaining wrappers covered with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Moisten edges with water; fold opposite corners together over filling and press to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry wontons for 2-1/2 minutes or until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve with sauce Yield: about 8-1/2 dozen (2-1/2 cups sauce).
Reviews forWontons with Sweet-Sour Sauce
"I used to make this recipe all the time. My family and friends love these. I am making them this weekend and everyone is so excited. Ye, excited about good food."