Wonderful English Muffins Recipe
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1. Scald milk in a saucepan; add butter, sugar and salt. Stir until butter melts; cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water; add to milk mixture. Stir in all-purpose flour and 1 cup whole wheat flour until smooth. Add sesame seeds, poppy seeds and enough remaining whole wheat flour to make a soft dough. Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down. Roll to 1/3-in. thickness on a cornmeal-covered surface. Cut into circles with a 3-1/2-in. or 4-in. cutter; cover with a towel and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes. Place muffins, cornmeal side down, in a greased skillet; cook over medium-low heat for 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are browned. Turn and cook about 12-14 minutes or until browned. Cool on wire racks; split and toast to serve. Yield: 12-16 muffins.
1 each: 240 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 13mg cholesterol, 248mg sodium, 41g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 4g fiber), 7g protein.
Reviews for Wonderful English Muffins
"These turned out very nice. I rolled the dough to thin, but they still tasted great. You need an afternoon blocked off to make these as it does take time. I"
"Very simple to make. I think I made them too thick and cooked them too hot, but we still gobbled them up."
"These are WONDERFUL! I, too, thought it might be a challenge to make these, but they were easy! After looking on the Internet, I decided to cut them into squares. They cooked easily as directed in a greased skillet. When they were totally cool, I split them using a fork. Had all the nooks and crannies just like the store bought ones!!! This recipe is definitely a keeper."
"I was surprised how much like store bought muffins these were. They were really easy and delicious."
"These turned out great! I was a little unsure about making my own English muffins, but they turned out so well I may never buy them again. My toddler just loved them with peanut butter or jelly."
"These muffins are AMAZING..I love to bake and this kind of product was new for me..so simple, and The Tea Ladies LOVEDthem..will make over,and over again..Thank You for sharing"