Wonderburgers for Two
"I often cook for just my husband and myself, so this perfectly portioned recipe really comes in handy," Cathy Zadel writes from Hanalei, Hawaii. "Homemade" hamburger buns make these sandwiches extra special.
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated breadsticks
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- Sesame seeds
- 1 large egg
- 1 to 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2/3 pound ground beef
- Lettuce leaves
- Separate breadsticks into 12 pieces; connect two pieces by pinching ends together, forming six ropes. Shape each rope into a coil; flatten to 1/2-in. thickness. Layer two coils together on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat twice. Beat egg and water; brush over dough. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Bake at 350° for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown; cool on a wire rack. Save one bun for another use.
- In a small bowl, combine the egg, soy sauce, onion, thyme, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well; shape into two 3/4-in.-thick patties. Grill, covered, over medium-hot heat for 5-7 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Split two buns in half; top with lettuce and burgers.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Pillsbury refrigerated breadsticks.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 641 calories, 28g fat (11g saturated fat), 305mg cholesterol, 1649mg sodium, 53g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 42g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Wonderburgers for Two in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook