Witch’s Hat Cake
You don't need a special pan to put together this fun witch cake using a packaged cake mix, prepared frosting and assorted candies. She'll come together so quickly, you'll think it's magic!—Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 package chocolate cake mix (regular size)
- 1 can (12 ounces) whipped vanilla frosting
- 3 tablespoons dark baking cocoa
- 8 drops green food coloring, optional
- ASSORTED CANDIES: Large marshmallow, 2 brown M&M's, 1 spearmint leaf, one 6-inch piece red shoestring licorice and a burnt peanut
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions. Place 2 tablespoons batter into each of five paper-lined muffin cups. Spread remaining batter in a greased 11x7-in. square baking pan.
- Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool cupcakes for 5 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely. Cool cake for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Cut cake into an 8x8x6-in. triangle. Cut the cake scraps into two 4x4x3-in. triangles. Save the remaining cake for another use.
- For hat, position the large triangle on a 16-in. square covered board. For the face, place the two smaller triangles below the hat with the 3-in. sides touching the base of the hat. Arrange cupcakes around the edge of the face. (see diagram/photo).
- Place 1 cup frosting in a bowl; stir in baking cocoa. Place remaining frosting in a bowl; tint green. Frost witch's hat with cocoa frosting. Frost remaining cake and cupcakes with green icing.
- Cut marshmallow in half. Place on cake for eyes; add M&M's for pupils. Add spearmint leaf nose, red licorice mouth and a burnt peanut wart.
Originally published as Witch's Hat Cake in Halloween Party Favorites 2009
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.