Wisconsin Butter-Basted Burgers
It’s no secret that Wisconsinites love their dairy—so much that they sometimes top their burgers with a generous pat of butter. My recipe is a lot like the butter burgers you’ll find in popular restaurants all over the state. —Becky Carver, North Royalton, Ohio —Becky Carver, North Royalton, Ohio
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons plus 4 teaspoons butter, divided
- 4 hamburger buns, split
- Optional toppings: Tomato slices, lettuce leaves, dill pickle slices, ketchup and mustard
- 1. Sprinkle ground beef with seasoned salt and pepper. Pulse mushrooms in a food processor until finely chopped. Add to seasoned beef, mixing lightly but thoroughly. Shape into four 1/2-in.-thick patties.
- 2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add burgers; cook 6-8 minutes on each side, basting with butter, until a thermometer reads 160°. Remove from heat; keep warm. Add bun tops to skillet; toast until golden brown.
- 3. Transfer burgers to bun bottoms. Top each with 1 teaspoon butter. Replace bun tops. Serve with toppings.
1 burger: 400 calories, 21g fat (10g saturated fat), 96mg cholesterol, 543mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 28g protein.
Jul 8, 2019MANY small hidden gems in Southeastern Wisconsin do put a dollop of butter on top. Unless the butter is dripping, you are not eating a butter burger.
Jun 4, 2019The mushrooms and butter basting add great flavor to this burger. These were a hit with my family.
Apr 29, 2019I love mushrooms in any dish, but I REALLY love mushrooms when finely chopped and added to these hamburgers. They made the beef so rich and tender! Definitely a recipe to repeat again and again!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC