The flavor of thyme shines through in this recipe. The colorful array of vegetables is so appealing on the table. It’s a great way to showcase often unused broccoli stalks.
Recommended: Top 10 Turnip Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 3 medium turnips, peeled and cut into strips
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into strips
- 4 medium carrots, cut into strips
- 3 fresh broccoli spears
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- Pepper to taste
- Place the turnips, rutabaga and carrots in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut florets from broccoli and save for another use. Cut broccoli stalks into strips; add to saucepan. Cover and cook 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are crisp-tender; drain well.
- In a large skillet, saute vegetables in butter. Stir in the parsley, salt, thyme and pepper. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Winter Vegetables in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2006, p123
Reviews forWinter Vegetables
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Dec. 23, 2010
"This was the perfect winter vegetable dish. Cutting the rutabaga into strips was challenging but worth the effort!"