Winter Squash Quiche
I always get compliments when I serve this quiche to my hungry crew. Our grandchildren especially love it for breakfast. The sweet flavor of the Swiss cheese and squash really comes through.—Mary Detweiler, Middlefield, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 50 min.
- 2 tablespoons chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 1-1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup mashed cooked winter squash
- 3 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- In a skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Transfer to a greased 9-in. pie plate. Sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl, whisk milk, squash, eggs, salt, pepper and nutmeg until smooth; pour over cheese.
- Bake at 325° for 50-60 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
Originally published as Winter Squash Quiche in Taste of Home October/November 1998