Winter Squash Muffins
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup pureed cooked winter squash
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, combine the first six ingredients. In a small bowl, whisk the egg, squash, buttermilk, honey and butter. Stir into the dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Coat muffin cups with cooking spray or use paper liners; fill half full. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 144 calories, 5g fat (3g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 218mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Jan 30, 2011
Used others suggestions to add the clove & nutmeg and they turned out delicious! Used acorn squash ~ they were very moist, my 1 year old gobbled them up!
Oct 29, 2010
These were very good but I would like a bit more spice to mine. Next time I'll try adding some nutmeg & maybe some cloves. Overall though, I really like these especially with the whole wheat flour. Great way to use up the leftover cooked squash.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.