Winter Squash and Bacon Casserole
I can’t imagine celebrating the holidays without including this comforting casserole on my menu. You can use any sweet variety of winter squash, but delicata is my personal favorite.—Gloria Jarrett, Loveland, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 cups mashed cooked delicata or butternut squash
- 12 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large skillet, saute onion in oil until tender. Remove from the heat. Stir in the squash, bacon, cheese, sugar, salt and pepper. Transfer to a greased 8-in. square baking dish. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle over top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until heated through and top is lightly browned.
To Make Ahead: Cook, mash and measure the squash the day before. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before using and proceed with recipe.