Winter Salad with Orange Cream
This easy-to-make salad has great eye-appeal, and the dressing can be made a day ahead for convenience. It's especially festive-looking with red grapefruit and red pears.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1small bunch romaine
- 2 medium grapefruit, peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium navel oranges, peeled and sectioned
- 2 medium pears, cut into thin wedges
- 2 medium ripe avocados, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Stir in orange juice and zest until blended. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer.
- Remove from the heat. Stir a small amount of hot mixture into eggs. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat. Cover surface with plastic wrap; cool for 30 minutes without stirring. Fold in yogurt. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place orange cream in a serving bowl. Place in the center of a 13-in. serving platter. Line platter with romaine leaves; tear remaining romaine and place over leaves. Top with grapefruit and orange sections. Sprinkle pears and avocado with lemon juice; arrange over fruit. Garnish with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 223 calories, 10g fat (2g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 90mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 5g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Winter Salad with Orange Cream in Country Woman Christmas 2005
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.