Winter Root Vegetables
Christmas dinner wouldn't be the same without this colorful side dish. We love the interesting combination of vegetables including red potatoes, brussels sprouts and parsnips covered with a zippy sauce. —Mary Jane Jones, Williamstown, West Virginia
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 pounds small red potatoes, quartered
- 1 pound brussels sprouts, halved
- 1/2 pound parsnips, peeled and julienned
- 1/2 pound carrots, cut into chunks
- 1/2 pound turnips, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh dill or 2 teaspoons dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Cook vegetables separately in water until tender; drain. Melt butter; stir in remaining ingredients. Combine the vegetables and butter mixture; toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts0.700 cup: 97 calories, 5g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 72mg sodium, 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 vegetable, 1 fat, 1/2 starch.
Originally published as Winter Root Vegetables in Taste of Home October/November 1997
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.