Winter Fantasy Poinsettia Cupcakes
Total TimePrep: 1 hour
- 1 to 2 cans vanilla frosting (16 ounces each)
- Cupcakes of your choice
- Clear decorating sugar
- Winterfresh or cinnamon chewing gum
- Additional vanilla frosting
- Yellow candy-coated sunflower kernels
- Frost cupcakes, reserving some frosting for decorating as desired.
- For poinsettia cupcakes: Place decorating sugar in a small shallow bowl; roll top edge of each cupcake in sugar to form a decorative rim. Set aside.
- Using clean kitchen scissors or a small sharp knife, cut gum into leaf shapes of various sizes. Pinch the base end of each leaf, forming a curved leaf shape. Add frosting to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in the corner.
- Arrange leaves in a circular pattern over top of each cupcake, working from the outer leaves in. Press outer leaves into top of cupcake; secure with additional frosting as needed. Continue adding leaves and securing with frosting to form a poinsettia. Gently press sunflower kernels into the center.
Dec 22, 2011
These are fun but difficult to get the flowers just right. I may try gum paste next time.
Mar 16, 2010
This is one of the most beautiful cupcakes I've ever seen and I'd gladly make it any time I could. My family absolutely loves it and will be making it many more times.
Dec 1, 2008
I'd use fondant for the flower petals.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.