Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon onion salt or onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 drops Louisiana-style hot sauce
- 1/2 cup cubed fully cooked ham (1/4-inch pieces)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen brussels sprouts, quartered
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup shredded Colby-Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- In a large saucepan, bring the potatoes, onion and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Do not drain. Mash potatoes (mixture will not be smooth). Stir in the onion salt, pepper, salt and hot sauce; set aside.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute ham and brussels sprouts for 5-6 minutes or until sprouts are tender. Stir into the potato mixture. Add milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally.
- Gradually stir in 1/2 cup cheese; cook for 2-3 minutes or until cheese is melted. Garnish with remaining cheese.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 403 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 457mg sodium, 66g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 23g fiber), 33g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 24, 2017
The name says it all. This suop is so comforting on a chilly day!!
Nov 18, 2013
This was easy and tasty. I didn't have ham, so I sautéed real bacon bits with the brussel sprouts and added diced cooked chicken. It was delicious and my husband loved it. I'm going to make it as written next time, because I love ham.
Jan 18, 2011
This is a great soup. I made it with the Pepper Steak Sandwiches in the same issue.
Dec 14, 2010
Great recipe. Always improvise though. Little more potatoes. Little more ham. Always takes me longer to cook than they say. Maybe my age!