Winter Cabbage Salad
My mother made this recipe for as long as I can remember. Most times she made it seven or eight times larger than this recipe calls for! She'd store it in the refrigerator in gallon-size glass jugs for the winter, then serve it as a vegetable, salad or garnish at family meals, ladies' church luncheons and potluck parties.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the first six ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions and peppers. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 67 calories, 0 fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 716mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (14g sugars, 2g fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Winter Cabbage Salad in Country Extra January 1995
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.