My mother made this recipe for as long as I can remember. Most times she made it seven or eight times larger than this recipe calls for! She'd store it in the refrigerator in gallon-size glass jugs for the winter, then serve it as a vegetable, salad or garnish at family meals, ladies' church luncheons and potluck parties.
Recommended: 54 Amazing Ways to Love Winter Veggies
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1 tablespoon mustard seed
- 3/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 10 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 2-1/4 pounds)
- 3 medium onions, thinly sliced
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, thinly sliced
- In a large saucepan, bring the first six ingredients to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, onions and peppers. Pour vinegar mixture over vegetables; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Yield: 16-20 servings.
Originally published as Winter Cabbage Salad in Country Extra January 1995, p49
Reviews forWinter Cabbage Salad
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 19, 2014
"Giving 4 stars ~ have not made as yet but plan to. Would be a great take along dish to a summer gathering!"