Winning Creamy Chicken Casserole
French onion dip lends a tangy accent to this cheesy rice bake from Jaky Broussard of Greensboro, Alabama. Short prep time means you can eat deliciously without spending hours in the kitchen.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup French onion dip
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, onion dip, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir in rice and onion.
- Spread half of the rice mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with chicken, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and green chilies. Top with remaining rice mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Nutrition Facts1-1/2 cups: 454 calories, 20g fat (12g saturated fat), 69mg cholesterol, 1085mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 29g protein.
Originally published as Chicken & Rice Chili Verde in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.