French onion dip lends a tangy accent to this cheesy rice bake from Jaky Broussard of Greensboro, Alabama. Short prep time means you can eat deliciously without spending hours in the kitchen.
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2/3 cup uncooked instant rice
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1/2 cup 4% cottage cheese
- 1/3 cup French onion dip
- 3 tablespoons sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash white pepper
- 1/2 cup cubed cooked chicken
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped green chilies
- Cook rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onion in butter until tender; set aside. In a small bowl, combine the cottage cheese, onion dip, sour cream, salt and pepper. Stir in rice and onion.
- Spread half of the rice mixture into a 3-cup baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with chicken, 1/4 cup cheddar cheese and green chilies. Top with remaining rice mixture; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Chicken Casserole in Cooking for 2 Fall 2008, p31