- 1 cup cranberries, quartered
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel, optional
- Cinnamon sugar
- Sprinkle cranberries with 2 tablespoons sugar; set aside. Sift remaining sugar, flour, baking powder and salt into large mixing bowl. In separate bowl, beat egg, milk and oil. Make a hole in center of dry ingredients; pour in liquid ingredients. Stir only until mixed; do not overmix. Add berries and lemon peel. Fill greased standard or extra-large muffin cups with mixture. Sprinkle tops of muffins with cinnamon-sugar. Bake at 400° about 18 minutes for standard-size muffins or about 22 minutes for extra-large muffins. Yield: 12 standard-size or 6 extra-large muffins.
Reviews forWinning Cranberry Muffins
"Seriously delicious! Followed the recipe and oh boy, this is a fabulous muffin!"
"My boys made these muffins for me that I took to a meeting and they were devoured. Very well received and the compliments were, "not too sweet", "very moist" and "I love the fresh cranberries". I will say I only got 11 muffins. No way I would have gotten 12. Perfect for the season, though."
"The muffins are not sweet. I feel like they are missing something to give it more moisture. Not sure if I would make again. I may try them again with butter instead of oil."
"Good muffins. Not overly sweet so don't expect a cupcake. :) Perfect for breakfast or an afternoon snack!I followed the recipe to a T, with the exception of using reconstituted dried cranberries (by soaking for 20 minutes in hot water)."
"Love this recipe but made some changes. Omitted the lemon zest. Didn't have milk so used sour cream instead. Added a teaspoon of orange extract and a handful of chopped pecans. Used a crumb topping instead of the cinnamon sugar. Fabulous!"
"Excellent recipe. I used frozen cranberries instead of fresh ones. They turned out beautifully - light, moist and delicious. This is definitely a winning recipe. It?s a keeper."
"This is an excellent recipe! Rather than quartering the cranberries, I just briefly food-processed them. I was so happy to find a recipe that tasted this good without being high in sugar and fat. Thank you very much."
"These muffins are fabulous! They make great mini-muffins..... bake for about 12 minutes."