- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 2 cups sliced fresh rhubarb
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 drops red food coloring, optional
- Pastry for double-crust pie (9 inches)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Place tapioca in a small food processor or spice grinder; process until finely ground.
- In a large saucepan, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, orange peel, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, tapioca and, if desired, food coloring; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 15-20 minutes or until strawberries are tender, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a large bowl; cover and refrigerate overnight.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one half of dough to an 18-in. circle. Cut 12 circles with a 4-in. biscuit cutter, rerolling scraps as necessary; press dough onto bottom and up sides of ungreased muffin cups. Repeat with remaining dough. Spoon strawberry mixture into muffin cups.
- Bake 12-15 minutes or until filling is bubbly and crust golden brown. Cool in pan 5 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool. Yield: 2 dozen.
Reviews forWinnie's Mini Rhubarb & Strawberry Pies
"These were simple to make and my children are devouring them."
"Wow--I can't say enough about this recipe. I used raspberries instead of strawberries and it was absolutely delicious. I like the concept of the "mini-pie" --just enough to satisfy your sweet tooth. They are easy to prepare and a great way to use rhubarb. When I finally found some I bought a lot and chopped and froze it. Now I can make these all spring and summer long."
"I made this recipe and I found this pie to be a keeper! I did not have rhubarb available, so I used about 1/2 cup frozen whole cranberries I'd had on hand with the strawberries. I also used 1 Tbsp. of grated bottled orange peel. I also omitted the salt. I DID cook the berries with 1 Tbsp. lemon juice and 3/4 cup water. I used a regular 9" single pastry shell and made a crumb topping for the pie. I baked the pie for 35 to 45 minutes on a 400O F. oven setting. The pie came out great! I didn't refrigerate the filling-I just bakedthe pie! Thank you, Shawn Carleton for sharing this recipe! delowenstein"
"Delicious pies. The perfect combination of sweet and tart. I have used this recipe for years but make a double crust 9" pie. The only change is adding 1 T of butter to the filling before I add the top crust. This is the perfect summer time pie and my go to recipe when I can get fresh rhubarb and strawberries. You will get lots of compliments I promise."
"I wish I could give this recipe 10 stars, it's that delicious. This reminds me of the pies my grandmother would make for me and my sisters."