Wine and Swiss Strata
Although I typically serve this strata for breakfast and brunch, it also makes a nice light lunch or dinner. The hint of wine makes it special.—Cheryl Schmitt, Clarinda, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 40 min. + standing
- 11 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 cup diced fully cooked ham
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Place bread cubes in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish; top with Swiss and Monterey Jack cheeses, ham and onions. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, wine or broth, mustard and pepper. Pour over the top. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 325° for 40-45 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean and a thermometer reads 160°. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine sour cream and Parmesan cheese; cook and stir over low heat until warm. Serve with strata.