Wilted Watercress Salad
When I was a girl growing up in Iowa, our whole family picked watercress. I modified my sister's recipe for spinach with hot bacon dressing to come up with this lovely, satisfying salad. The sweet dressing and crunchy bacon pieces really dress up plain watercress. It is a treat.—Judith Saeugling, Sun City, Arizona
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 6 cups watercress
- 4 green onions, thinly sliced
- 5 bacon strips
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- In a large bowl, toss watercress and onions; set aside. In a skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon; crumble and add to watercress mixture. To the drippings, add brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice and Worcestershire sauce; bring to a boil. Pour over salad and toss to coat; serve immediately.
Originally published as Wilted Watercress Salad in Taste of Home April/May 1999
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.