Wilted Spinach Salad with Butternut Squash
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, saute the squash, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 2 teaspoons oil until tender, 11-13 minutes. Set aside; keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 4-6 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in the wine, cranberry sauce, remaining oil and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute longer.
- Place spinach on a serving platter; top with onion, cranberries and squash mixture. Drizzle with warm dressing. Sprinkle with almonds, goat cheese and, if desired, pepper. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 228 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 382mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (17g sugars, 4g fiber), 5g protein. Diabetic exchanges: 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch, 1 vegetable.
Jan 1, 2019
I loved everything about this salad. I plan to make it regularly. Colorful, healthy and delicious! Makes for a nice presentation for holidays too!
Dec 4, 2011
Made this salad for Thanksgiving, everyone loved it! Not a leaf left on the plate
Nov 26, 2011
This is a grand-slam.Two thumbs up like Fonzi.