Make quick work of peeling butternut squash. First, prick it with a fork and give it 45 seconds in the microwave. Then, trim an inch from the base of the squash, making it stand up straight and tall while you run the peeler from top to bottom. —Margee Berry, White Salmon, Washington
Recommended: 57 Superfood Spinach Recipes
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 cup cubed peeled butternut squash
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dry red wine or chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 5 cups fresh baby spinach
- 4 slices red onion
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted
- 1/3 cup crumbled goat cheese
- Coarsely ground pepper, optional
- In a small skillet, saute the squash, chili powder and 1/4 teaspoon salt in 2 teaspoons oil for 11-13 minutes or until tender. Set aside; keep warm.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 4-6 minutes or until reduced to 1/4 cup. Stir in the wine, cranberry sauce, remaining oil and remaining salt. Bring to a boil; cook 1 minute longer.
- Place spinach on a serving platter; top with onion, cranberries and squash mixture. Drizzle with warm dressing. Sprinkle with almonds, goat cheese and pepper if desired. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Wilted Spinach Salad with Butternut Squash in Taste of Home November 2011, p25
Reviews forWilted Spinach Salad with Butternut Squash
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review