Wilted Curly Endive Recipe
- 12 bacon strips, diced
- 3 medium bunches curly endive
- 4 quarts water
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 to 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons finley chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Cook bacon until crisp; remove with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain. Reserve 3 tablespoons drippings. Cut or tear endive from center stalk; discard the stalks. In a large saucepan or Dutch oven, bring water and 1-1/2 teaspoons salt to a boil. Add endive; cover and cook for 3 minutes. Drain. Stir in bacon, reserved drippings, vinegar, onion, pepper and remaining salt; mix well. Serve immediately. Yield: 6 servings.
1/2 cup: 256 calories, 26g fat (10g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 1216mg sodium, 1g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 4g protein.
Reviews for Wilted Curly Endive
"I made this for a german potluck and added a bit more vinegar and used kale instead of endive. It was gone in minutes!!"
"THe flavor on this was quite good, but the quanities were questionable. The greens just seemed to disappear! How much is a "bunch" of endive? It would be better if the quantity of endive was given in oz. or lbs."