- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1-3/4 cups sugar
- 1 cup canola oil
- 3 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- PRALINE ICING:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 2 tablespoons 2% milk
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease and flour a 10-in. fluted tube pan. In a small bowl, beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth; beat in egg.
- For cake, in a large bowl, beat sugar, oil and eggs until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into sugar mixture. Stir in apples, carrots and pecans.
- Transfer half of the batter to prepared pan; layer with cream cheese mixture, then remaining batter. Bake 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in cake portion comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large saucepan, combine brown sugar, butter and milk; bring to a boil. Cook and stir 1 minute. Remove from heat; whisk in confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle with pecans. Yield: 12 servings.
Reviews forWilliam Tell's Never-Miss Apple Cake
"Very good, although a bit dry."
"i reduced the sugar and it still tasted delicious. will be baking this again!"
"Jamie, what kind of apples do you use?"
"I have made this cake several times and have always gotten rave reviews from family and/or guests. I have a non-stick bundt cake pan and I also have a regular angel food pan (not non-stick). I have found in the past that whatever cake I make, it seems to stick in the bundt pan. So, I now use the angel food pan - greased well with pure butter or crisco and then flour the pan well. (Do not use oleo as most have water in them and also do not use Pam spray). I run a table knife gently around edge of pan and around the inside tube after taking out of oven, and have yet to have any cake stick in this pan. "Live and Learn" as my grand-mother always told me."
"It's a 5 star rating for me (my review would only allow me 4 stars). Wonderful flavor. Everyone requests it. One of our family all-time favorites!"
"This cake was a HUGE hit in our house!! A family favourite!"
"I made the cake for a family birthday today and it was a big hit! Very moist and the family requested the recipe. I did not get the icing quite right - it set really fast and did not drip down like the photo of the cake here. The icing was still delicious but I would love to know how to get the consistency like the photo... Excellent recipe and plan to make it again soon."