Wild Wild Rice
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 35 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 4 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 can (8 ounces) French-style green beans, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) sliced water chestnuts, drained
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, optional
- In a small skillet, saute green pepper and onion in 1 tablespoon butter until crisp-tender; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water, rice and remaining butter to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Stir in the chicken, soup, green beans, water chestnuts, carrot, mayonnaise and green pepper mixture.
- Transfer to a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Cover and bake at 350° for 35-40 minutes or until heated through.
Editor's NoteReduced-fat or fat-free mayonnaise is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 338 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 76mg cholesterol, 797mg sodium, 24g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 24g protein.
Jan 12, 2016
While I would give this 5 stars, for some odd reason, my family didn't care for it. I don't understand because I have made similar casseroles. I know they don't like water chestnuts, so I did omit them, but I added chopped celery instead. I personally think it's a good recipe.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.