Wild Rice with Mushrooms
Chock-full of mushrooms, celery and green onions, this hearty side dish is an ideal accompaniment to cool-weather meals. Our Test Kitchen staff seasoned it with garlic, thyme and rosemary so it complements nearly any entree. Plus, it makes a big batch, so you can use the extra in the next two dishes.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 1 hour
Makes8-10 servings (7 cups)
- 3-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked wild rice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 cup diced celery
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil
- In a large saucepan, bring broth and water to a boil. add the rice, salt, thyme, pepper and rosemary. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 60-65 minutes or until rice is tender; drain.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, celery, green onions and garlic in oil. Add the rice; heat through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 173 calories, 3g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 454mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 3g fiber), 7g protein.
Originally published as Vegetable Wild Rice in Quick Cooking September/October 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.