Wild Rice Turkey Soup
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours
Makes8 servings (2-3/4 quarts)
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice
- 7 cups chicken broth, divided
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- In a large saucepan, bring rice and 3 cups broth to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 50-60 minutes or until rice is tender.
- In a Dutch oven, saute the mushrooms, onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour and seasonings until blended. Gradually add remaining broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the turkey, cream and cooked rice; heat through (do not boil).
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 393 calories, 16g fat (9g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 1130mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 28g protein.
Jun 22, 2017
It's become a tradition in our family for me to make this soup with my own turkey stock from our Thanksgiving bird. My husband adores it!
Apr 13, 2017
This is very tasty
Jan 2, 2016
Very flavorful and satisfying soup. It was a bit thick so next time will use less rice. It tastes even better the second day!
Dec 10, 2015
A wonderful & tasty way to use up leftover turkey! Will be making this again. It does turn out very thick, so next time I will reduce the rice as one cup of uncooked wild rice yields about 3 cups cooked.
Sep 16, 2015
This soup is perfect for Thanksgiving leftovers.
Jan 3, 2015
This was absolutely wonderful. I made it just like the recipe, but had leftover smoked turkey breast and bone so I made my own broth. Very tasty!
Feb 26, 2014
This is our absolute favorite after Thanksgiving soup!
Apr 7, 2013
This was a great way to use the frozen turkey from Thanksgiving. My family loved this soup. We will definitely make this again.
Dec 17, 2012
Tastes very good but turned out a little thicker than I would have liked.
Nov 29, 2012
Turkey or Chicken it's good. I added bacon for a little extra flavor and cut back on the celeryto 1/2 rib, added some scallions and used milk instead of half and half. Yummy!!!