Wild Rice Pilaf
Apricots and wild rice are pleasing companions in this easy pilaf our Test Kitchen staff created. The bits of dried fruit bring sweetness to this side dish that goes great with fish, seafood and poultry.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice mix
- 2-1/3 cups water
- 1-1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add rice mix with contents of seasoning packet and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from the heat; stir in the remaining ingredients. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1/2 cup: 139 calories, 2g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 383mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit.
Originally published as Wild Rice Pilaf in Light & Tasty December/January 2005