This recipe is a traditional favorite in Minnesota, where wild rice is widely harvested. These fritter-like pancakes are great for brunch or even a light supper.
Recommended: 39 Amazing Ways to Love Whole Grains
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked wild rice*
- 1/3 cup milk
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable oil
- In a large skillet, saute mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Place in a large bowl; cool. Add the rice, milk and eggs; mix well. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; stir into rice mixture just until combined. Coat the bottom of the skillet with oil; heat over medium heat. Drop batter by 2 tablespoons into hot oil. Cook about 3 minutes per side or until browned. Yield: 1-1/2 dozen.
Originally published as Wild Rice Pancakes in Country October/November 1995, p49