Wild Rice ‘n’ Bread Dressing
Hearty wild rice is and appealing addition to traditional bread stuffing, while chopped carrot adds pretty color.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 8 cups day-old bread cubes
- 3 cups cooked wild rice
- In a large skillet, saute the celery, onion and carrot in oil until tender. Stir in the parsley, bouillon, garlic powder, marjoram, rosemary, sage, pepper and poultry seasoning. Add the broth; heat through.
- In a large bowl, combine bread cubes and wild rice. Stir in broth mixture; toss to coat. Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until heated through.
Nutrition Facts3/4 cup: 206 calories, 9g fat (1g saturated fat), 1mg cholesterol, 687mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Wild Rice and Bread Pudding in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2003
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.