Wild Rice Chicken Casserole
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1 package (6 ounces) long grain and wild rice
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 tablespoons chopped almonds
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 ounces) chunk white chicken, drained
- Prepare the rice according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute the onion, almonds and parsley in butter for 4-5 minutes or until onion is tender and almonds are lightly toasted.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, milk, broth, salt and pepper until smooth. Stir in the chicken, rice and vegetables.
- Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish (mixture will be thin). Bake, uncovered, at 425° for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and golden brown.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 313 calories, 13g fat (7g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1117mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 17g protein.
Nov 19, 2012
It was really runny, I wonder if you could cut back on the liquid and how much. I enjoyed the taste, my 2 year old loved it! I would put more chicken in next time.
Nov 2, 2010
I did make several changes to the recipe. Cooked my own wild rice with brown rice, fresh parsley and garlic. Fresh chicken rather than canned. It turned out more like soup, but the flavor was very good.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.