VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (4 ounces) wild rice
- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 5 tablespoons butter, divided
- 12 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- CHEESE SAUCE:
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Colby or Gouda cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- Dash white pepper
- Cook rice according to package directions. Spread in greased 13x9-in. baking dish; set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 325°. Place asparagus and 1/2 in. of water in a large saucepan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, saute ham in 2 tablespoons butter until lightly browned. Spoon over wild rice.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and pepper. In the same skillet, heat remaining butter until hot. Add egg mixture; cook and stir over medium heat until eggs are completely set. Spoon over ham; top with asparagus.
- For sauce, heat oil in a saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; add the cheese, ginger and pepper. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.
- Pour over casserole. Cover and bake 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Yield: 10 servings.
Originally published as Wild Rice Brunch Casserole in Country February/March 2005, p49
Reviews forWild Rice Brunch Casserole
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jan. 5, 2010
"Fantastic recipe as written. I am going to try this with broccoli too. Thanks so much."