Wild Rice Bread
"Wild rice is abundant in our state, so I use it in many recipes," shares Dotty Egge of Pelican Rapids, Minnesota. "Combined with caraway, the wild rice lends and excellent flavor to this hearty bread."
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 3 hours
Makes1 loaf, 16 slices (1-1/2 pounds)
- 3/4 cup water (70° to 80°)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon molasses
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-2/3 cups bread flour
- 1/2 cup cooked wild rice, cooked
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- In bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed).
Editor's Note: The use of the time feature is not recommended for this recipe.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 82 calories, 1g fat (0 saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 147mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch.
Originally published as Wild Rice Bread in Quick Cooking March/April 1998
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.