Wild Asparagus Quiche Recipe
I enjoy hunting for wild asparagus, and once I decided to use it to make a quiche. The wild variety tastes best, but store bought will work, too!
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1-1/2 cups (12 ounces) 1% cottage cheese
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups 1% milk
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Dash hot pepper sauce
- 2 cups fresh wild asparagus, cut in 1/2-inch pieces
- 2/3 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. For crust, in a small bowl, combine flour and salt. Cut in shortening until mixture forms fine crumbs. Add water; toss with a fork until the mixture forms a ball.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll out dough to fit 10-in. quiche pan.
- 3. Transfer pastry to quiche pan. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges. Line unpricked pastry shell with a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Bake at 400° for 5 minutes. Remove foil; bake 5 minutes longer.
- 4. For filling, in a blender, combine the cottage cheese, eggs, milk, flour, mustard and pepper sauce; cover and process until smooth. Pour into crust.
- 5. Arrange asparagus evenly over filling. Sprinkle with Swiss cheese and paprika. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Yield: 6 servings.
1 slice: 413 calories, 24g fat (8g saturated fat), 158mg cholesterol, 760mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Reviews for Wild Asparagus Quiche
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC