Wholesome Grain Loaves
This recipe began as a basic wheat bread. I added wholesome graham flour, raisins and sunflower kernels. Now my family begs me to make this for them.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 40 min.
Makes2 loaves (16 loaves each)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 2-3/4 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup graham flour or additional whole wheat flour
- 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the brown sugar, butter, egg, cinnamon, salt, graham flour and 3 cups whole wheat flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface. Sprinkle with raisins and sunflower kernels. Knead until smooth and elastic, about 8-10 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9x5-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks cool.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 172 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 10mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Wholesome Grain Loaves in Best of Country Breads
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.