- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- In a large bowl, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg; beat well. Beat in the banana, applesauce and vanilla. Combine the remaining ingredients; add to creamed mixture.
- Transfer to two 5-3/4-in. x 3-in. x 2-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 mini loaves (6 slices each).
Reviews forWholesome Banana Bread
"This is a great recipe. I used 3/4 cup of bananas and eliminated the butter, apple sauce and flax seed all together. I used 100% whole wheat flour in the recipe as well. I should have changed the brown sugar for honey. Next time I will do that. It is still very moist. I also quadrupled the recipe, and used my large bread pans. It only filled 3 of them. If I want thicker bread, I will divide the dough in half and use two pans. The taste is very good. I only baked it for 20 minutes for the size of loaves it made."
"I ended up using almost all wheat flour and it still was amazing, delicious and moist. My husband usually hates the healthier recipes I make but he loved this banana bread. Making it again today!"
"Very nice and moist. I quadrupled the recipe and it made a nice amount. Everyone loved it. Next time I might add some walnuts and maybe some more whole wheat flour in it, but otherwise awesome!"