Whole Wheat Waffles with Chicken & Spinach Sauce
On a business trip years ago, I got the idea for waffles with chicken and spinach. When I serve it, people go back for seconds, even thirds. —Vicki Melies, Elkhorn, Nebraska
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, combine soup, spinach, 1/2 cup milk and chicken; cook over medium heat 5-7 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. If desired, stir in additional milk for a thinner consistency. Remove from heat; cover to keep warm.
- 2. For waffles, in a large bowl, whisk flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In another bowl, whisk eggs, milk and melted butter until blended. Add to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened.
- 3. Bake in a preheated waffle iron according to manufacturer’s directions until golden brown. Cut each waffle in half. Serve with sauce; sprinkle with cheese.
1/2 waffle and 3 tablespoons sauce: 335 calories, 15g fat (8g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 647mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 15g protein.
© 2019 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC