Whole Wheat Toasting Bread
This recipe for whole wheat bread is one of my favorites. Try it topped with a fruit spread for a fast and flavorful breakfast.
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into thirds; roll each into a 12-in. rope. Braid ropes; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan and brush with melted butter. Cool on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 121 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 15mg cholesterol, 160mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Toasting Bread in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.