VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3-1/2 to 4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add warm milk, sugar, shortening, egg, salt and 2 cups of flour; beat until smooth. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down. Divide into thirds; roll each into a 12-in. rope. Braid ropes; place in a greased 8x4-in. loaf pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes. Remove from pan and brush with melted butter. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 loaf.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Toasting Bread in Cookin' Up Country Breakfasts Cookbook 1994, p49