- 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 egg
- 2 to 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional vegetable oil, optional
- In a mixing bowl, combine whole wheat flour, sugar, yeast and salt.
- In a saucepan, heat milk, water and butter to 120°-130° add to flour mixture. Beat in egg. Beat on low speed for 1 minute; beat on medium for 1 minute. Gradually stir in enough all-purpose flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/4 hours. Punch dough down; shape into 12 balls. Place in a greased 9-in. square baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Brush tops with oil if desired. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown. If necessary, cover with foil during the last 5 minutes to prevent overbrowning. Remove from pan and cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 dozen.
Reviews forWhole Wheat Rolls
"This was my first time making bread and they were gone in seconds (family of 7). Delicious! Thanks so much for a simple, tasty recipe."
"Reduced the fat and sugar to 2/3 of the recipe and increased the proportion of whole wheat - to try to make it healthier - and they still turned out great!"
"Love this recipe, have been making it for years, it's a family favorite."