VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 cup 2% milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, softened butter, eggs, whole wheat flour, 1 cup all-purpose flour, potato flakes, brown sugar and salt. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch dough down.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into thirds. Roll each portion into a 12-in. circle; cut each circle into 8 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide ends and place point side down 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 1 hour or until doubled.
- Bake at 350° for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with melted butter. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.
Originally published as Whole Wheat Crescent Rolls in Country Woman Christmas Annual 2012, p37