Whole Wheat Brownie Mix
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes16 brownies per batch
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months. Yield: about 4 batches (about 11 cups total).
- To prepare brownies: In a large bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and 2-1/2 cups brownie mix until blended (batter will be stiff). Stir in nuts if desired.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteContents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 109 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 18, 2012
This is wonderful to have on hand. I make a batch to keep in the freezer and scoop out what's needed when I need it. I've even given it to friends as a gift. It first looks like it's dry, but it bakes up nice and moist. So nice to get the whole wheat in there!