Whole Wheat Brownie Mix
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Bake: 20 min.
Makes16 brownies per batch
- 4 cups sugar
- 3 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup shortening
- ADDITIONAL INGREDIENTS (for each batch):
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, optional
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator or freezer for up to 3 months. Yield: about 4 batches (about 11 cups total).
- To prepare brownies: In a large bowl, combine eggs, vanilla and 2-1/2 cups brownie mix until blended (batter will be stiff). Stir in nuts if desired.
- Spread into a greased 8-in. square baking pan. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.
Editor's NoteContents of mix may settle during storage. When preparing recipe, spoon mix into measuring cup.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 109 calories, 4g fat (1g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 95mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 1g fiber), 2g protein.
Apr 18, 2012
This is wonderful to have on hand. I make a batch to keep in the freezer and scoop out what's needed when I need it. I've even given it to friends as a gift. It first looks like it's dry, but it bakes up nice and moist. So nice to get the whole wheat in there!