Whole Wheat Bran Bread Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups water, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 cup All-Bran
- 6 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup dark molasses
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3-1/4 to 3-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1. In a saucepan, combine 1 cup water and milk; bring to a boil. Remove from the heat; stir in the cereal, butter, molasses, sugar and salt. Cool to lukewarm. Heat remaining water to 110°-115°; pour into a large mixing bowl. Sprinkle with yeast; stir until dissolved. Add cereal mixture and whole wheat flour; beat well. Add enough all-purpose flour to make a stiff dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch the dough down. Shape into two loaves and place in greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 400° for 25-30 minutes. Yield: 2 loaves.
If Cooking for Two: Wrap one loaf in heavy-duty aluminum foil and freeze to enjoy later.
1 slice: 113 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 7mg cholesterol, 326mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 3g protein.